Carbon Monoxide Dangers
Click link for more info:NY State Code - CO Detectors in Commercial Buildings
Each year, hundreds of people experience what they think are symptoms of the flu: headaches, fatigue, nausea and dizziness.
Some recover; some die.
WHERE DOES IT COME FROM?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced from burning any fuel. Any fuel-burning appliance in your home is a possible source of CO. Your car is a source of CO, too.
When appliances and their vents are in good working order, there is little danger from CO. When they don't operate properly, fatal CO concentrations can be produced. Running a car in a garage or using charcoal indoors can also cause CO poisoning.
WHAT DOES IT DO?
Carbon monoxide displaces the body's essential oxygen. Besides flu-like symptoms, it can also cause vomiting, loss of conciousness, brain damage and eventually, death. Unborn babies, infants, senior citizens and people with heart problems or breathing difficulties are especially at risk.
IF YOU FEEL BETTER ...
If symptoms disappear and you feel better when you go outside your home, but symptoms reappear when you go back inside, you may have CO poisoning.
DO'S and DON'TS: